Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Tooth and the Glasses

My son and daughter each get front and center tonight.   I’m not going to even write about my fun day sleeping in and shopping with my best friend and how we now have matching camo cargo pants.

The Big Boy Update:   My son is getting a tooth.   His lower right molar is coming in and has erupted either today or yesterday.  He’s been pretty excited to know he’s got an adult tooth coming in, although it’s bothersome to him at times.   At dinner he proclaimed that there should be nothing crunchy to eat.    Then he decided the food wasn’t warm enough for his tooth, although the fork was too cold.  The mashed potatoes weren’t right (as in he didn’t want to eat them), but eventually he did eat everything, all which met the “not crunchy” criteria and was able to have a slice of Nana’s chocolate Oreo peppermint ice cream pie.

The tooth brushing tonight was interesting.   He wanted to brush that tooth—to the exclusion of all other teeth.   There was lots of flossing going on, but mainly around the new tooth.    I remember as a child when my teeth were coming in.   It’s uncomfortable, sometimes painful and almost an itchy feeling and you just want it to hurry up and break all the way through.  

He told me it was a baby tooth but soon it would be a teenager and then after that it would be a child tooth (as it grew up into his mouth).    He’s working on a name for the new tooth now.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter can smear a pair of eyeglasses faster than anyone I know.   She touches the glasses a lot and she’s messy and sticky because she’s a child.    My husband and I typically clean her glasses for her when we do the rounds of drops each day.    We’ve tried to build an interest in her cleaning the glasses, but so far she’s not wanted to do it.  

This morning she came into the bedroom while we were still asleep.   She said, “mom, I want to clean my glasses”.   Did I mention she’s been sleeping in them lately?   She wears her glasses to bed and only takes them off to take a bath.   They have a strap around the back and are comfortable so she doesn’t mind them and possibly is getting some visual benefit from having the corrective lenses on.

But back to the eyeglass cleaning.   We got out the spray and the cloth but she couldn’t make the sprayer work.   We tried three different bottles, but they were all too hard for her to press down with her small hands.   I told her I’d work on a solution for her.  

Tonight I’d found what I was looking for—a little doll sprayer that came with one of her toys.   It has a pump spray mechanism and she can do it easily.    I put some of the eyeglasses cleaner in it and she was able to spray and clean her glasses all by herself.  

The next thing was where to put the supplies so she could clean the glasses any time?   We made a spot in the top drawer beside the toothpaste in a small green container.   I’m interested to see if she notices her glasses are as dirty as we do on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment