Monday, January 16, 2017

Dad Abandons Family

There is a calendar entry on the calendar my husband and I share with the above title for the next week.    My husband was invited with some friends to go skiing in Tahoe.   It was for a week and it partially overlapped with other relatives visiting, but we decided it was a good thing (as far as vacations go) and my husband booked the trip.

He and I were at the computers at the time he pressed the “confirm” button and he said, “I feel sort of bad, abandoning you and the children for a whole week.   I told him not to worry about it, I’d get some time back at another point.   But just to be sure he didn’t forget our sacrifice, the calendar entry doesn’t list dad in Lake Tahoe, it reads, “Dad Abandons Family”.

The Big Boy Update:  I came home from class today to find a glorious mess in several rooms.   The sitter had taken good care of some things, including making cupcakes with scratch made icing, but other things were a wreck.   Of note was the children’s room, which was covered in so much bedding and stuffed animal mass the children couldn’t even get clothes on to go to dinner (yes, they were still in their pajamas at 5PM).   The children cleaned up fairly well, with my son helping the most.   At dinner I was telling my father about the mess when my son said in a shy, sad voice, “mom, why did you have to tell him?”   It was then that I realized my son was upset he left the mess and thought I was telling on him.   I changed the story to how I was so impressed with their cleanup.   Later, just before my son climbed the stairs to his bunk bed, I knelt down and told him I was sorry about telling Gramps and would he please let me know if anything like that happened again so I could be sure to know what he wanted to be kept a secret just in our family?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We play “Up and Down” a lot with the children.  You say one “up” thing about your day and one “down” thing.  My daughter said the other night at dinner, “I don’t have a down, I just have a bunch of ups.”  So like my daughter…

No comments:

Post a Comment