Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Lawn Mower Maze

I grew up in a house just one off from the corner of our street.   One of my best friend’s back yard backed up to the side of our lot and from the point I was in elementary school all the way up until high school, she and I were friends. 

The lots weren’t big, but they were wooded enough that it took adult intervention to get our side and back yards connected so Veda and I could meet together and play in the little tree houses our parents had built us. 

The connection involved cutting a section of the fence down and making a trail through the overgrown underbrush.    For years this trail would be cleared out once per year and we’d go back and forth, usually as children, sometimes with out parents, to each other’s houses.   It never got old, we always had fun together. 

Then one year, Tucker, the father, decided to clear out more of the underbrush.  I’m not sure why, but he decided to do so by mowing a path with the lawnmower in rather a maze-like fashion through their back yard.    It was a little eccentric perhaps, but as children we loved it.    We worked it into our imaginative play, we chased each other, we played games out there. 

The next year I think we were hoping Tucker would mow his maze again, but I think the inspiration only struck him once.   I haven’t forgotten it though. 

The Big Boy Update:  The children were taking a bath tonight with various toys, one being a baby without a head (they didn’t want the head, they said).   I was working on emails when I heard my son giggle and yell out from the tub, “oh!  The baby’s bot soap in it’s butt!”   This was funny for at least two minutes.   It was funny from around the corner until I came in to find they’d added Mr. Bubbles to the tub and there were bubbles everywhere. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was leaning into the wall this past weekend.  I couldn’t figure out what she was doing so she explained, “I’m listening to hear the power coming in from the wall to charge the iPad.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment