Thursday, January 19, 2017

Dragons Aren’t Real!

My son came inside the other day mad and upset.   Some sort of game had been going on with the friends on our street that involved dragons.   Some of the children (who were also standing in my living room) attested that dragons were real.   My son was on the opposing team with no one else standing by him, insisting dragons weren’t real.

What do you do?   What can you say?   We face this all our lives when we encounter someone who has firm beliefs in something we don’t share.   Yelling at them and telling them what they believe is wrong doesn’t help.  

I told everyone that it was okay for some of them to believe dragons were real and for others to believe they were only pretend.   I said it was okay to believe different things but that didn’t stop us from still being friends.  

I asked if they could continue their game even though they didn’t agree?   They decided since there were no dragons in our neighborhood, that it would be okay.   The went back outside and I haven’t heard anything about dragons since.

The Big Boy Update:  My mother was helping the children get into the bath tonight.  Before he got in, my son was in the toilet and my mother could see he had a large amount of toilet tissue he was piling up in his hands.   She asked him, “do you need any help?”   He said, “no, this is new poop.”   Now this might seem like a strange comment, but you have to understand that “new poop” hasn’t been streaking his bottom, drying out and being a general mess to get off.   Good news is tonight he had only, “new poop” to deal with.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter brought home a, “Christmas present for next Christmas” today.   It was a surprise.   I couldn’t imagine what it was.  She said it took a while for the class to work on because they could only do a few of them at a time.   When we got home she very proudly brought out a jar of butter the class made from shaking heavy cream around during circle time.    She wants dad to see it when he gets home and keep it as a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment