Friday, January 6, 2017

Memories of Snow’s Past

It might actually snow here.   There is this black snow hole around our area that likes to divert snow accumulation away from us—or at least that’s how it seems to me.   Sure, we get weather and some of the weather is bad, but it’s typically not snow.  And if it is frozen stuff, it’s not good, proper snow and it almost never accumulates much.

Tonight it is suppose to begin precipitating in an hour or so.  My children aren’t that excited because we haven’t gone on about it to them much.  I told them there may be snow on the ground when they wake up but so far, they’re just glad it’s Friday.

I used to get excited about the prospect of snow—lots of snow that you could trudge through and sled down hills on as the sound of crunching ice crystals assails your ears in the otherwise silent surroundings.   I yearned to get bundled up in my winter’s warmest to go outside and have fun trying to make a snowball with reduced dexterity from my overstuffed gloves.   I looked forward to sledding down a hill or road and not having the street surface break through for a good two days of solid sledding.

That’s what I hoped for for a long time after I became an adult.    I had memories of large snow drifts that lasted for days and days when I was a child.  But now, as an adult living in the same town I grew up in, I think the snow might well have been the same amount back then as it is today, only I was shorter.   It might last for close to the same amount of time before it melts today, but when I was a child, time flowed a lot more slowly.

Regardless, we’re looking forward snow and all the fun it brings with it when we wake up tomorrow.

The Big Boy Update:  I’m not sure if it’s seen as a negative thing these days to say this, but wow, my son is good at video games.   He has an excellent memory just like his father and good fine motor skills to match.   He came down and wanted me to see his new leveled-up something-or-other Ninjago character in Lego Dimensions on the Nintendo Wii U.   It was pretty cool, I have to admit.   His new character could fly.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s teachers have said they’re seeing a decrease in her vision or possibly her confidence at school.   She’s spending the entire playground time holding the hand of the assistant teacher, Susan.   We’re not seeing a reduction in vision here, but there’s a possibility we’re missing something.  On Monday she has another EUA in Detroit.   Hopefully we’ll get good news on the results of the surgery from last month, but even if we do, we’re not sure what’s happening at school to cause her to need more assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment