Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Rain In Spain

I'm not in Spain.   I'm not even remotely near Spain.   I'm in the mountains of North Carolina.   Years ago, no, make that decades ago, I would come up to the mountains to spend time over the holidays with my parent's best friends, or later, at my parent's house, and it would rain.   It wouldn't always rain, but it rained with enough frequency that I got blamed for, "bringing the rain".

I like rain.  I like weather of all sorts.  I like the thought of damp or drenched green foliage surrounding me in a mountainous environment, so I never minded.   But I still got blamed.   It went on for so long that I eventually started to feel badly about the weather situation, because it seemed to be an annoyance or disappointment to those around me that I'd come visit and brought my friends, "precipitation" and "overcast skies", with me.

Was I bringing the rain?  Hell no.   But it seemed I was somehow involved in a multi-year, non-specific, undirected conspiracy in which the weather and I had not colluded a single bit.   And yet, it kept happening.

This weekend is the member/guest golf tournament at my parent's country club.  My father and husband are playing together.  Have they been able to play at all?  Barely.  Marginally?  What they have played has been in the rain, fog and chill...in July.   I am fully expecting to be blamed for this terrible turn of the tournament in short order.

I don't feel too badly; I like the rain.

The Big Boy Update:  We went to a children's play land yesterday and today.  It was one of those museum-type things that appeals to children up to age seven.   My two children had a wonderful time.  My son fell in love with a fourteen-month-old girl.   I have never seem him so infatuated with a, "baby" as he kept calling her.  It was very interesting to watch.   After we left, we went to the mall for lunch.   When we were done we walked around for a while.  Apparently he was watching other families because he told me, "some people have two kids and some people have one kid and some people have no kids."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She is my handy helper.   She will help you out if you need it (and especially if you don't need it).  She will help out another child and she will help out her brother, even if he doesn't deserve the help.  She is very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment