Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Blockus Towerus

That's Latin for "towers made out of blocks".   Or, at least I think it is.   Never mind, that's not important.  The important thing is my children have gotten back into building towers with blocks.  

It's one of those things with children where they like something and they they don't care about it and then later, after you put that thing away and they forgot about it, when they see it again they go nuts for it.

Aunt Adrienne and Aunt Brenda got my children some wooden blocks with letters on them.  They liked the blocks, but got tired of them after some time.   I put them away.  I brought them out and they thought they were interesting, but not that interesting, so I put them away again.   Three days ago I brought them out and suddenly, they are all about the block towers.  

My daughter will sit in the corner and make her own towers and walls.  My son likes to put the plastic container on his head, come over to his sister, knock her tower down, and then help her build it back again.    Sometimes, my son likes to take blocks into the bathroom because you never know when you're going to need to build a tower while sitting on the potty.  

Tonight, I heard squeals and screams in the bedroom: my daughter and husband were making a tower so high he had to lift her up to get her high enough to place the last few blocks.   She was very accurate at placing them, so much so that they had to intentionally knock down the tower.

The Big Boy Update:  My son likes to make towers with the blocks, but he's also interested in what's on the blocks.   There are letters and animals and colors and he knows what a lot of them are now.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Mom and dad, you gotta close your ears."  (What my daughter told my husband and me when her block tower was getting tall, because she knew it was going to make quite a clatter when it fell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment