Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Merita Bread Alignment

This is one of those stories from college.   I think I was a freshman, although I might have been a sophomore, I'm not sure.   One of the students in our hall, dorm, class (not sure on that front either) had moved into an apartment.   Our dorm advisor (or was it dorm mother?  It seems I've forgotten most of the details surrounding the story), thought it might be nice to go and visit her and see what it was like to live in an apartment.

We agreed that would be interesting.  We all lived in dorms and had no idea what it would be like to truly live on your own.  We got there and she showed us around her very small apartment.  She had a roommate who wasn't there that I'm fairly certain didn't go to our college.  It wasn't big, but it was her place and that was fairly exciting.

We sat around her dining room table and asked her questions about life in your own apartment.  She said she was liking it just fine, but there were some adjustments to living with a roommate.   For instance, she told us, her roommate bought the cheapest items at the grocery store.   It was all well and good to save some money, and yes, she didn't have much either, but she liked sandwiches and she liked her sandwiches with good bread.

The bread she thought was the best was Merita brand bread.   I remember at this point looking over to her counter and seeing a loaf there.   She said the problem with her roommate, was that she kept eating all of her Merita bread and she was going to have to say something to her.

I have no idea what the friend's name was, how many of us went to visit, where the apartment was, the circumstances under which she got an apartment or any other myriad things you might think would stand out from the trip.  But I remembered that bread.

From that point on, to me, Merita bread was a far superior in both quality and taste.   Whenever I wanted to get, "good bread" I would get Merita.   To this day, I buy lots of different kinds of bread, including Wonder bread, which I ate quite a lot of as a child.  But a plain loaf of Merita bread is still the best in my opinion.

I bought Merita bread just the other day and out of pure coincidence, my children asked for some bread at snack time.  That was unusual in and of itself, but sure, here kids, have a slice of bread.   After the first slice, they each wanted a second slice.   Then today, my son asked for bread for snack again.

So, it seems my children like Merita bread just as much as I do.

The Big Boy Update:  "What the heck?"   He's said this several times of late.   I suppose I'm glad he's using "heck" and not "hell".

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I've mentioned my daughter's need to be independent of late.   She has now decided she wants to open all doors.   She opened all the doors at the restaurant and store we went to today.  After opening each one (which sometimes took a while as doors can be heavy), she would tell us, "I'm really strong."

Fitness Update:  I told the trainer to put me back on regular workout next week.  He still wants to favor my shoulder (which was giving me terrible fits several weeks ago) but hell, I have so many other areas that are bothering me, I'd rather be the one to pick which are favored.  He's been giving me these big hugs lately and telling me my husband better watch out.   I think he's trying to make my husband jealous so he'll come back to the gym.   I'm not sure it's possible to make my husband jealous, but I didn't tell Don that.


No comments:

Post a Comment