Friday, July 25, 2014

The Fifteen Pound Pants

My body shape has changed a good bit with the exercising.   If you're new to following this blog, let me go back a bit and explain that historically I never exercised.   I complained that I had inherited a large stomach from my mother's side of the family, but ultimately, I was just overeating.

Two children later and I decided I had best do something about all this largeness that had happened from going through two pregnancies, nursing and oh yes, all that overeating through the years.   I started running, thanks to two friends and eventually, possibly as a result of some mental instability, I ran a marathon.

That weight I had put on, came right off and I weighed less than I remembered weighing as an adult.   I was very happy about that.   I got some new clothes and the shorts fit so nicely on my non-protruding stomach region.   About that time I started going to a trainer and things changed again: first I lost weight, and then, I gained muscle.

In the middle of all of this, I decided I had lost too much weight.   I really needed to gain some back because yes, it was nice to get that fat to go away, but with the muscle I'd built, I just looked too thin. That was a fun time.  I gained about ten pounds but did it in a slow enough way that I put on more muscle than fat along the way.

This post is about pants though and how they fit and muscle and fat.    Years before, I had bought a pair of pants that I'd worn for a short time and then couldn't, due to extra poundage I added to my body.  They sat in my closet for years but I couldn't get rid of them because they were just great pants.   When I lost all the weight and I was in the, "you need to put some weight back on because you're looking way too bony" phase, I pulled out those pants and was very happy to be able to wear them again.

Then, alas, I had to gain weight I decided.  I looked at those pants and put them back on the shelf, thinking I wouldn't get to wear them again, but not wanting to get rid of them.

Yesterday I pulled out the pants and tried them on and I couldn't believe it, they fit.  I am fifteen pounds heavier now than when I last tried them on, and yet they fit and were comfortable.   I think those pants yesterday finally made me realize and believe that the weight I put back on wasn't just chub, fat, blubber...it was muscle--and muscle in the right places.

The Big Boy Update:  My son likes, "mom-a-kneese".   Otherwise known as, "edamame beans".

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I'm not sure if my daughter's hair is wavy or curly or frizzy.   It goes through phases, depending on the weather.   Sometimes I'm not even sure the weather controls it as it might be how it was washed, dried or brushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment