Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Some Ponderous Problems

Two mysteries, one solved, the other completely still a mystery.

The first is my contacts in Outlook.  I moved to the new machine.  I'm now all Apple/Mac/iDevice and I am quite happy.   I was working in Microsoft Outlook for three weeks with my entire history migrated to the new machine including historical emails (huge), contacts and calendar.   Suddenly, I tried to send an email and all my contacts were gone.  The night before, everything was there, today, they've disappeared.   There were four left that I'd created since I moved to the new machine but that was all.   What the heck?

Google to the rescue and I look for other people who've had this problem.  New Mac user, migrated data, no I didn't delete my contacts, no it wasn't this other issue with Exchange and it wasn't seven other things that weren't possibly given my situation.   Here's the thing, no one has reported this problem, and that's strange.   Because whenever  you have a computer problem, there is a drastically high chance that a thousand or more people have had the same thing happen and there is a known fix or workaround.  

So I'm still stumped on what happened, but I did find a easy way to move my contacts back into Outlook.  A very, very easy fix that took twenty seconds once I discovered it.   I wonder if they'll disappear again?

The second issue was the Tesla's fault.   We had garage doors that worked, and then they didn't.  We'd back out in the minivan (or even in the Tesla) and intermittently we couldn't close the garage doors.   Hold on, was it because we were charging the Tesla or was it not related.   Was it the new power outlet that was between the two main bays of the garage?   Dadgummit, this was annoying.

I looked all over the internet yet again for someone who had the same issue and had found a solution. And then I discovered the culprit...and it wasn't the Tesla's fault.  

We replaced the garage door lightbulbs at almost the same time as we got the Tesla.  The bulbs are the ones that turn on when the garage door opens or closes to give you a few minutes of light to get in or out of your car.  They're right up on the unit itself.   Remember the LED bulb replacement plan?   We had replaced those bulbs with LED versions and the frequency of the bulbs interferes with the garage doors whenever the lights are on.  

Mystery solved as to why we couldn't close the garage doors.  We replaced the LEDs with low-power consumption CFL bulbs.   Now, we can get in and out of our garage again.

The Big Boy update:  Who is Pahmer?  It doesn't quite sound like, "Palmer" but it's not, "farmer" either.   He calls us Pahmer from time to time but we can't figure out who it is.   Is it an imaginary friend?  I don't think so, but it's something he's heard from somewhere.   I play along and say, "okay, Pahmer" when I talk to him sometimes because that's what he does to me.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Carrots are always available.  We don't allow them to eat anything they want at any time, but we have two things they can consume whenever, on a self-serve basis: carrots and water. My daughter (as well as my son) really like eating carrots now.  We don't think this is a bad thing.  As my daughter would say, "carrots are always abadavul" (available).

Fitness Update:   It's not so much of an update anymore is it?  I need to come up with a new section title.   I'll think on that.  For now, we went to the gym super early because my neighbor had to be at the hospital early for work.  Uncle Jonathan drove from the next town over to meet us to go to the gym early so he got up super duper early.   Maybe I'll change the title of this section to, "lengths I'll go to to exercise with two toddlers".

No comments:

Post a Comment