Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Just Love You (and the Naked Pictures)

I see my college president from time to time.  He was more than just a college president to me, he was my friend.  My mother worked for him for many years and he was always someone who was fun to be around.  His daughter baby sat for me and drove me to piano lessons and gymnastics and she was one of my friends too (albeit a college student friend that I looked up to).

My parents retired to the mountains of North Carolina and as coincidence would have it, my college president did as well.   Both my parents and he and his wife belong to the same country club, so on occasion, I get to see him when we're visiting.

He was always intriguing to be around.  He was interested in computers far before most people I knew.  He liked to try out the latest technologies and sometimes he'd show me what he was working on.   If it was cool and exciting, to be sure, he was interested in it.

Whenever I see him I always go over and give him a great big hug.   This past weekend I saw him at the next table so I ran over, interrupting all the conversation at his table I'm sure, and gave him a huge hug.   We caught up for a few minutes and then I went back to my table, me with a big smile on my face.

Later, I remembered one more thing I wanted to tell him so I waited until the guests at his table were getting up to go get their next course at the buffet.  I snuck back over and we had a second, quick chat.   He told me, "Courtney, I just love you."  I told him he was thinking the same thing I was thinking.   He has always held a special place in my heart that neither time nor distance can diminish.

As the evening ended and we were all getting ready to go, my college president came over to my husband and told him (as my husband tells the story) that he was very fond of me and then...something about naked pictures.

Wait, what?   My husband said it was very loud with so many people departing at the same time and he wasn't quite sure what he said although there was definitely something about naked pictures.  He told Dr. Weems he was fond of me as well and they departed.   But...naked pictures?

Fortunately, my husband told my mother about the comment and my mother cleared it up.   My parents have been doing a study on aging for many, many years now.   Every year, they take pictures of themselves together, completely naked, to see how they've aged.   For some time, I don't think they told people about their yearly foray into nude photography, but now I think it's something they're rather proud of.  Everyone I know that hears of it thinks it's a pretty amazing thing.   So far, I don't think anyone has seen the results of the study though.

So, my husband and I aren't completely sure what my college president said in the loud room, but I am hopeful that he was saying I was holding up well enough to not need to worry about starting the naked yearly photos anytime soon.

I love you too, Dr. Weems.  It's always wonderful to see you.

The Big Boy Update:  My son told me today while he was getting water for snack, "when we take a bath the tub runs out of water."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Have I mentioned that my daughter has a terrible reaction to mosquito bites?   I may have, I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up.   My son either doesn't get bit or they don't react with his skin.  My daughter gets huge welts that itch for days.  We forgot to spray her with bug spray before camp on Monday and she woke up last night complaining about itching in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment