Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When Does Something New Become Old?

You know that feeling you have when you get something new that you're very excited about?  Say it's a new phone.  You want to make sure nothing happens to it.  You want to preserve its newness, keep it in the perfect condition it was when you bought it.   The first time something happens to it like some dirt gets on it you overreact and get out the cotton swabs and alcohol to clean it.  You blow on it and then fret that dirt might have gotten into the port and it'll never be the same again.

But at some point, that item becomes "old."  It becomes old in our minds.  It's like your current phone that you've had for a long time that's all scratched up and dirty.  If more dirt gets on it, "meh, it's old, these things happen."  So when does that shiny, new item get old in our minds?

Today I was putting something back into the refrigerator and I realized the glass shelf was covered in drinking cup rings, debris and something sticky.  Didn't I just wipe off the shelves?  Since the refrigerator is still "new" in my mind, I cleaned off the shelves.  At what point will I not care about the shelves being clean?  When will the refrigerator become "old?"

The Big Boy Update:  This morning he learned he can drop things through the railings on the second floor and they drop to the first floor and make a loud sound on the floor.  I was hoping he wouldn't figure that out.  He likes to throw things down, especially if it's his food, and the dog is below his high chair.  We're going to have to watch him more carefully until this phase passes like the crazy stair-climbing phase did.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  This morning she woke up at 7:15.  She wasn't easily calming back down so I brought her into the bed with me and held her.  Since she usually sleeps until close to nine, or, she wakes up and entertains herself in the crib without help, I decided holding her for an hour or so couldn't hurt.  At this point my son has no interest in being held or cuddled.  I don't want to make a bad habit, but I hate to miss this sweet time with her.  After thirty minutes she fell asleep and I could get up and get mommy morning things done before feeding her.

No comments:

Post a Comment