Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Laundry Evolution

I'm doing it again, I was going to talk about interesting things in this blog.  Or rather, I was going to try and write about interesting things.  I'm afraid however, my life just isn't that interesting.  Today I'm thinking about laundry.  About how much there is now and how frequently it needs to be done in comparison to two babies ago. 

I love having all the laundry clean.  Starting it, finishing it and getting it all folded and up on the same day, before you've even had the chance to put what you're wearing into the hamper.  Alas, that's not possible anymore.

We used to separate out lights and darks.  We could wait a week to do laundry and have one big day of laundry.  But little bitty clothes need to be cleaned faster than that.  And their clothes are so small that there isn't enough to separate out into color batches. 

The color separation thing is what's most frustrating.  Babies grow out of brand new clothes in weeks or months.  These new clothes are nice and colorful, haven't been washed and still bleed in the wash.  For the first nine months I watched as whites and light clothes got steadily dingier until I was hoping my son would grow out of them.  Then, I saw a commercial for these "color catcher" things you put in the laundry.  They do work as advertised, and they keep our laundry nice and bright and white. 

The Big Boy Update:  My husband wanted to try baby sign language again with him today.  We tried some signs when he was seven to nine months, but he didn't catch on well.  He's much better at mimicking physical things than sounds so this may be a better way to communicate until he's got more words.  He picked up the sign for "more" during lunch.  We'll see if he remembers it tomorrow.  I tried "cookie" as he loves cookies.  I thought a high-value item might make him pay more attention.  I think he may have tried to sign it back, updates as we get them on the signing front.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Meals in a single setting.  She's getting much, much better at eating her meals in one setting instead of two, three or even four rounds of milk for a single meal.  Today she ate all he meals this way.  She's also getting more and more alert.  We went out to have a late birthday dinner with friends.  I expected her to sleep the whole time.  Instead, she was awake and wanted to be in someone's lap, sitting up (being propped up in a sitting position) so she could look around.  She was awake so much today, I expect she'll have a good night's sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment