Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Like Hellos Not Goodbyes

I love when guests come to visit.  I like seeing someone I haven't seen in a long time and catching up.  I like being with friends and having fun together.  But I don't like goodbyes.  It's not so much that I can't say goodbye, it's that goodbyes are an immediate reminder that our time together is over; it's when we have to face how long it will be until we see each other again.  It's the opposite of the happy event that the hello was.

If the departure is a bigger occasion or for a longer time, it's almost as if we're beginning the mourning process of separation before we're even done being together.  Robert Heinlein said, "When a cat greets you, he makes a big operation of it, bumping, stropping your legs, buzzing like mischief.  But when he leaves, he just walks off and never looks back.  Cats are smart."  That's how I feel about goodbyes. 

So if I ever wander off or don't make a big to-do when it's time to say goodbye, that's why.

The Big Boy Update:  He's getting the wave down now.  He's got the bye bye wave.  He now waves back and forth for "hi."  Although, he's not a reliable on saying hi as he is "bye bye."  He also knows high five and how to blow a kiss.  I got a video of him today picking up the basketball, dunking it and high-fiving daddy afterwards. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Yesterday she ate only three meals.  The last one was a bit drawn out, but she really only ate three times the whole day.  She still slept through the night, but she didn't eat as much as I would have liked.  Today, she's more hungry and has gotten most of her ounces in already in just the first three meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment