Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Cup and The Cake

For Movie Night this Friday we celebrated Shealyn's eighth birthday.  I asked her mother what she liked and we went for strawberry cake with strawberries between the layers.  Now you should know that when I say "we," what I mean is my husband did all the cake making and decorating and I just gave advice (weather he wanted it or not.)

We heard Shealyn was very into Harry Potter and princesses right now.  After looking online for Harry Potter cake themes, only to find amazing 200+ hour professional cakes or unexciting crest-themes, we went with the Princess theme.

My husband outdid himself.  Click on the photo to see the detail he put into the dress.  The 3D princess on top had a real doll torso decorated in rose petal pink and purple.  Shealyn even had a tiara to wear for the song and candle blowing out and then there was wand to remember the cake by.

Suffice it to say, the cake was a big hit.  We found out afterwards that she'd always wanted a doll cake.  Way to go daddy!

My birthday is this weekend too.  I didn't want to have the focus on me.  I'm getting a cake on Sunday any way.  So my husband made me a cupcake and put a candle in it.  Not just any cupcake, a mini-cupcake.  He iced it and put Happy Birthday in teenie tiny writing on it too.   My little cupcake was very good.  And also very thoughtful.

The Big Boy Update: There's a monster upstairs.  His room is over ours; in the morning when he wakes up he stands up and moves around his crib.  It sounds like a monster is upstairs stomping around.   But as long as there's no crying to go along with the stomping it's good news; that means he's entertaining himself until breakfast time.   This morning he had oatmeal for breakfast.  I was feeding him the oatmeal with a big spoon and he was sticking his baby spoon into the bowl.  He figured out that you put the spoon in the bowl and then feed the other person.  So he tried to feed me while I fed him.  Too cute.  Too fun.  Too messy.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: Fighting the food.  She has been fighting the bottle lately.  I'm not sure if it's gas or some other cause, but she will violently shake her head and thrust her tongue out during meals.  Her brother was never that way, even if he was gassy.  So, we're keeping on top of the gas drops and giving her breaks after eating parts of her meal and burping her lots.  She eventually comes around and eats it all.  Perhaps I'm not being patient enough.  Lack of patience is one of my many faults.

No comments:

Post a Comment