Monday, December 19, 2022

SQUEEEEEEEE!

My daughter made a mistake this afternoon.  She wanted to hold one of the guinea pigs.   She was in the big playpen, and they were running around.  They were climbing on top of her some of the time but they didn't want to be caught.  And they are fast.   They also can squirm if they don't want to be held. 

I went into the craft room to get some work done on the present wrapping.   Shortly I heard my daughter cry out.   She was terrified she'd hurt one of the guines pigs.   Was it Cheerio or was it Kix? She didn't know.  I came in and she was crying terribly.  I got each one in turn and assured her they were okay.   

My daughter was so upset.   She knew she shouldn't have done what she did.   She wanted to hold one, she admitted that.   When she caught one, it tried to get away and she held it—too tightly.   She said she squeezed him to try and keep him and he made a squeak and it scared my daughter so much she immediately let go.   

I've talked to her about her motivations.  Is she doing something for the guinea pig, or is she doing it for her?  It's okay to do some things for you, but you need to keep them in mind all the time.  For instance, unless you picked them up initially, they would never know that being with a human can be comforting or fun or have treats associated with it.  But there needs to be a balance.    She loves them so much, she really does.   I think getting them was the right choice.  Plus, I adore them.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son, calm and collected, comes and gets a guinea pig and takes them downstairs to hang out with him while he watches television (or more specifically, YouTube on the television).  I came in to find Cheerio sitting up on his lap, not wanting to be under the covers, relaxed and looking around.   Or maybe he was sleeping, they frequently sleep with their eyes open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment