Sunday, December 18, 2022

Good or Bad Sounds?

We've been trying to understand the noise the guinea pigs make and if they are a sign of happiness, contentment, excitement, or ones of anger, fear, or frustration.  I decided to watch some videos today to understand more, mostly because I wanted to make sure Cheerio wasn't having seizures.  

It turns out there is something Guinea pigs do that is commonly called "popcorning" or "pogoing" with the technical term being "pronking".  Pronking?  I am definitely using that term.   It is this crazy jump in the air that makes it look like you have something wrong with your brain and it doesn't have it's movement properly coordinated. 

Cheerio has a very distinct pronking that looks worrisome.    It is a sign of happiness and joy.   I had just put him into a very cleaned-up and freshly stocked with hay, playpen.   He was just happy.  I was relieved.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Getting my daughter to not chase the Guinea pigs around to catch them is going to be hard for her.  Not because she's blind, but because she's so excited. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son asked me if I could come to his room after he'd gotten in bed for the night.   He wanted to know if he could have one of the Guinea pigs come snuggle with him in his bed.   We compromised and spent some time sitting in front of their cage and being friendly without picking them up.  They came out and checked us out when they realized we weren't going to immediately grab them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment