Monday, August 30, 2021

Getting Past the Sentence

My son takes Adderall for school.   He doesn't particularly like taking it, but it helps him focus for school and he absolutely wants to take it then, although that's the only time. One thing that happens to him is he has a very low appetite.   He eats very little for lunch at school.   Usually, he's ravenous when he gets out of school but this year so far he hasn't been hungry until dinnertime. 

One of the other things that happen is the thought process, while very focused, is not straightforward when he verbalizes his thoughts.   My son is articulate, speaks clearly, and is very easy to listen to.   He has complete thoughts he can explain easily and without difficulty.  However, when he's first out of school and the Adderall hasn't worn off for the day, he has a challenging time getting his thoughts out without repeating himself.  

It's as though he's thinking at a different rate than he's speaking.   Sometimes you want to just finish the sentence for him.   He knows what's happening and it frustrates him just as much.   It's worth it for him to be able to focus at school to get his work done—which he is excelling at. 

Today in the car on the way home, my son was trying to explain something and he couldn't get the sentence out.   He said, and I thought this was a very good way to explain it, "I'm sorry, I just can't get past this sentence."  

The Big Boy Update:  As we rode home from school today my son said, "I'm in a very good mood.   For some reason I want to give a hundred dollars to charity...and then buy a new gaming mouse."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Shelia, the massage therapist, came to the house today.   My daugher has been really enjoying it and looks forward to her coming.  Today, after my son had had a turn she said if I didn't want to have a turn, could she take some more of the time?   I said sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment