Saturday, August 7, 2021

Set

When I started Filament Stories I was fairly terrified of being online in some sort of public form.  Initially, we were going to present videos with no spoken words at all and just provide information about the filament as we showed some models.  Thankfully, I have some good friends who have large to huge social media followings and they gave me some advice: you need to be in the videos. 

We went with me speaking as a result and I'm glad we did because people have made a connection to the person talking and not just the models and filament.  It makes sense though, I watch lots of things online that I don't have any intention of doing personally, but the content is entertaining and for that reason alone, I watch them.   

It was easier though because I wasn't me so much as just a voice.   What I've resisted though is actually being in the videos as a person, which goes back to the whole terrified thing.   But the longer we do the videos and the more comments we get and the more things I think about that would be interesting topics to cover, the more I'm realizing I'm going to have to get in front of the camera. 

For the last two days, I've been working on what a "set" would look like.   I abandoned a whole collection of options while also realizing how very little I know about the new camera we have.   But I also learned a lot of things.  

So soon, I'm not sure how long from now, but fairly soon we'll be releasing longer-length videos on YouTube with more information about 3D printing things.   I have so many ideas.  There is so much to talk about.   But I'm hoping this different approach will be received as well as the filament stories themselves have been.

We'll find out if I can get on camera and not look like a deer frozen in bright light.   As long as I pretend no one is really there, maybe I can do it.   

The Big Boy Update:  My son's hair is so very long.  He's gone through phases of wanting it cut but then, the next day, he says he wants to let it keep growing.   It's adorably shaggy right now.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The first week of school is over and my daughter is in a much better mood than she was at the beginning of the week.  I think she was very worried about how things would be with a new teacher, a new braillist, and a new VI teacher.   Almost everything changed on her.  The one good thing is all her friends are still in the same class.   That was a big comfort to her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment