Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Reading Ahead

My daughter was reading to us tonight when I realized something: she has to read ahead to know what magnitude a number is.   We do this without thinking and I suppose sighted children have to do this when they first learn to read numbers.   It struck me though that she will always have to read ahead to the end of the number with her fingers before being able to start saying or understanding the number, even when it's in the thousands, like the numbers on this page:




The Coin Flip Unhappiness:  The children agreed to abide by the results of a coin flip today.   My daughter lost.   She did not like the result and threw a mournful, wailing fit.  The results were not changed.   When she insulted someone as a result, she lost social privileges for the rest of the day.   She was even more unhappy.   Sometimes, losing is hard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment