Wednesday, August 4, 2021

The Dress

My daughter likes comfortable clothes.   She doesn't want to be in frilly or fancy clothes.   She far prefers things that feel soft and she can move around in with ease.   She also likes something even at nine years of age, that she can sit on the ground and get dirty in.  She has never minded being dirty.  I keep wondering when we're going to see a change where she wants to be clean, but so far, that hasn't happened.  

Only now, suddenly, my daughter wants to have frilly dresses.   Or maybe not dresses, maybe dress.   When she and I were shopping for end-of-season shorts because she'd grown so much during the warm months that her shorts were tight on her and they even looked uncomfortable for me to look at her in them.

So we're at Target and my daughter finds something that is soft and voluminous.   And she wants it.  I thought, "I know how this goes, she says she wants it because it feels nice but then won't ever wear it," so I shuffled her on to the next area of shorts that also were unavailable in her size.  

But when we got home she talked about wanting that dress, or any dress for that matter.   And I got a distinct impression that she really wanted to wear a dress.   She has no idea that her neighbor friend, Nora, wears dresses all the time.   They don't have physical contact really.  Maybe they've talked about it, but she hasn't mentioned how Nora wears dresses and she wants to wear one too.   But the desire is coming from somewhere. 

 Today, my mother-in-law got my daughter from school while my husband was taking my son to another activity and I was having an injection in my spine.  They went to Target and when they got home I was instructed to close my eyes and ears and...surprise, she had on a fluffy, soft, and silky dress.   And she is thrilled.   

Maybe I'll have a little dainty, delicate girl soon.   Okay, I could barely write that without laughing.  I love my daughter and her very practical ways.   But it was nice to see her in a cute little dress with a big smile on her face. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son found out today that the Sensei at Code Ninjas that he likes so much is leaving.   He's going to go to the goodbye party for him this weekend.   My husband suggested he model something and 3D print it as a goodbye gift. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I told my daughter if she really wanted to make her dress look extra nice, she could wear the tights she has in her drawer that she sometimes mistakes for pants and put on her ankle boots.   She thought it was a good idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment