Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Fifth and Fourth

Tomorrow my son will finally admit to being a fifth grader, or "fifth year" as they call it at his school.   It will likely be the last year he'll go to the school he's known since he was eighteen months old.   Last year he said he never wanted to leave, but now, even before school has started, he's telling us he's ready to move to a new school next year. 

I think this in large part because most of his friends are or will be going to other schools.   He doesn't want to be left behind, even if it would mean he'd be one of the senior members at his current school.   For a long time, I was worried he wasn't going to understand how to socially interact with people in a positive way.   Now, I think he has friendship down, with friends from all around the houses in our neighborhood coming over, knocking on the door, and asking if he can come out to play.  

The Big Boy Update:  Today, my son and husband got his supplies ready for school tomorrow.  At this point, my son knows what he needs much better than we do.   He manages his own work at school and has been coordinating his weekly schedule of work with his teachers for several years.  He knows all the materials we should buy and for what class they'll be used.   He's ready for school tomorrow.  I think he's looking forward to being back and seeing his friends. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I forgot we moved Chelsea to Monday's for music therapy.  She and I moved the calendar around so many times we both have been messaging to make sure the other one didn't have another conflict and if so, what day would work for the upcoming week.   When Chelsea arrived today, my daughter didn't get mad, even though she didn't know ahead of time, she answered the door and went upstairs with Chelsea, talking all the way up the stairs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment