Wednesday, August 25, 2021

So Strange

I always hated what I would hear my voice on the tape recordings we would make when I was young.  The recording quality of the Tandy cassette recorder may have been questionable, but at the time, it was high-tech to my friends and me.

I had heard the reason we sound so different is that we hear our voices differently inside our heads and when we hear a recording, it just sounds wrong to us.   I thought that made a lot of sense.   Only as time went on and recording devices got better and more accurate, that level of, "I don't sound like me" went away.   

Of late I know this more because I hear myself recorded a lot.  We put out three main videos each week and I'm doing other videos in-between.  For everything that gets released, likely fifty times more has been recorded—which is a lot of listening to yourself recorded. 

It's strange though, hearing my voice coming out of my husband's computer as he works on the video or his phone when he's looking at it once posted.   And when I go into the social platforms to respond to the comments I hear it from my phone.  I'm getting used to it, but it still is uncomfortable. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a very good first day of school.  He is looking forward to the school year with his new teacher.  He got in the car and wanted to continue the work he had in his lap that he didn't have time to finish at school.   He sat down with his snack and kept working for the next while, telling me about this first day and the work plan he was making, and his idea of doing it in code like he does at Code Ninjas.   He said he might want to be a programmer when he went to college.  Maybe.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has a large reading project she is not reading enough hours for.  The latest is it will be a shorter, different, book.   But she's still got to get working on it or she will be out of time and will be upset at herself because she didn't complete the assignment in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment