Friday, July 9, 2021

They Didn't Know

We had a play date today with three younger children who have been wanting to come back and play with my children.   The two girls mostly wanted to play with my daughter.   When their mother arrived she came around the corner and said she needed to talk to me about something she didn't know how to handle. 

I thought something was wrong but what she said I never would have expected.   Their children had had so much fun playing with my daughter and were excited to come back and play with her again.    But the interesting thing was, they hadn't noticed she was blind.   

How should she handle this with her children?  We decided it was interesting and it wasn't a bad thing for them to find out organically.   So we left it alone.  And by the time they left, they had had such a great time, and yet I think they still didn't know. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son was supposed to spend time with our guests today.  He knew this, and yet he disappeared to the basement.   Later, he told me he thought they only wanted to play with his sister.  I think he was feeling not important because they were interested in her.   He didn't take into account their son, who wanted to play with him.   The fact that he was very small was a nice thing my son would have enjoyed.  Next time I think he'll join in. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  At one point we started doing a craft project today.  My daughter started doing some odd behaviors and it wasn't until I got her in a corner quietly that she said, "I can't do the project because I can't see it."  I told her I had a project she could easily do and when she knew that, she jumped in and finished off her project first.   But before I sent her back, I told her they didn't know she was blind—because she was so capable, they hadn't even noticed.   Her, "they don't?" words had this sense of awe and wonder in them that was wonderful to hear.   She had a really good time today being a host to her new friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment