Saturday, July 3, 2021

So Many Identities

There are a lot of identities we all go by in this electronic age.   I have my real name and the userid I use on Google that I post this blog under.   I have three email addresses, wait four (I forgot one.)  I am online in some communities and I have a handle or nickname I use there and then there are all the various hashtag names I use on the social media platforms.  

If you wanted to find me on Facebook, you could probably look me up by my full name, including maiden name, but there could be a lot of people with my name so you'd have to find my by other information you know about me.   What about Twitter or Instagram or TikTok?   Then there is that podcast I put out.   

It's all a lot for me to keep track of, much less someone else.   And now I have this YouTube channel under a name not my own that we're working on showcasing filament.   It's super fun.  It's loads of work.   It's sometimes harrowing because even small amounts of content require the work behind the scenes to get the content printed and ready to show.   And don't even get me started about making quality time lapse videos, because as beautiful as they are, they are an exercise in patience, settings and the right technology to get looking right. 

But it is fun.   Wait, where was I?  Identities.   Now I have a secondary set of identities as FilamentStories we have to keep track of.  Fortunately, in this case we're a team, my husband and I, and we both can do that side.   That includes posting, commenting and responding to all the comments. 

It's a lot to keep track of and I am admittedly not well-versed in social media, so I have so much to learn.   I get on one of my devices like my laptop or phone and have to ask myself, checking to, "see who I am right now."

So far, I don't have a split personality from it.  I hope that remains the case in the coming months. 

The Big Boy Goodbye Update:  My son's teacher and one of the administrators at his school are leaving with one moving away.  Today we had a goodbye gathering to see them and say our goodbyes.   My son is happy he'll get to see their son online with Minecraft even though he's moving to the other side of the state.   He didn't seem upset otherwise. 

The Tiny Girl I Don't Care Update:  My daughter didn't care about the teachers and student moving, she didn't want to go.   She was cranky and had to have several lectures and a cooling off walk before she was fit to go to the gathering.   She didn't know these people and thought she would be completely bored.   I think she had a reasonable time, but it's not the same sitting around with adults talking around you and having only a little input into the conversations you care nothing about.   She was kind though when the one teacher moving told her about the special painted rock she had that my daughter had given her.   She said she had packed it and was bringing it to their new home.   That made my daughter smile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment