Thursday, July 8, 2021

Getting Out of the Pool is Hard

We had a very nice visit with a donkey named Dakota, a pregnant horse named Tilley, two dogs, one cat (that we saw, there were more), and a pool today.   They were all fun.   Well, aside from the donkey, who was very sweet and gently nibbles on your hands, until she nibbled a little too hard on my daughter's hand.   

She got over it quickly as it really was only a little harder than she expected.   It was more fun to brush the donkey and give the donkey and horse hay, treats, and alfalfa.   Scott, our host, told us everything to do.   I have very little experience with horses or donkeys but he knew just what to tell the children to do.  

My son, who I didn't think would be that interested in the horse or donkey really liked them both.   He was interested in bringing hay to them and brushing them and talking to them and just interacting with them.   It was nice to see him with them.

My daughter was able to get up on the back of Tilley, although it was decided best not to go for a ride.  First, because she was pregnant, but also, there was the whole saddling and learning what to do to ride a horse and it was a bit more to accomplish than made sense to do in the span of our visit. 

Sitting on a huge horse and feeling how big they are how their body moves is impressive enough for a first "lesson" as it was important to remain calm on the horse because, as Scott said, that while very unlikely, horses can get spooked and if Tilley got scared, they could fall off.  

Both children were very respectful to the animals but it was hot, so the next step was to head to their backyard pool.   It was at this point that the adults go to spend time talking and testing out my husband's drone, which he brought to look at the property from above.  One of the dogs was part herd dog and she paced the pool the entire time the children were in, ready to jump in and save them at a moment's notice, should there be a problem.  I've never seen a herding dog so intent on her quarry before.  

It was a really lovely day and it was something special to my daughter because she has heard about horses in so many places, in particular, some books even featured them.   But she's never felt one or been on one before.   Her understanding of them changed entirely today because she has concrete data from hearing, smelling, and feeling them now, which is more than any number of words can ever describe. 

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Get Out Now Update:  It is hard to get out of a pool when you're having fun.   The children did not want to leave today, but it was time to go.   My son relented and finally got out, but my daughter did that thing I did many times when I was young: if I can't hear them, then I don't have to get out, and bobbed around until I got her attention.  No one wanted to leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment