Thursday, July 22, 2021

Another Kind of 3D

My husband got a new 3D headset the other day.  He's had this particular headset for a long time and the games are so interestingly realistic in your brain, but you have to play at his computer with a long cord so the latency from your motions won't lag behind what you see on the screen.   

The new version is standalone and you can be anywhere and see what's happening as well as the headset includes games built-in.   It's been fun standing in the middle of the basement moving around, playing "Beat Saber" for instance, which is a game where you hold lightsabers in your hands (or so it appears) and musical notes come towards you in time with a song playing.  You swat at the notes and slice them with your "sabers" and the better timed you are with the music, the more score you get. 

That part is fun, but what was more interesting was standing in the middle of a ski slope and watching from the perspective of my husband, as he takes her down the mountain.   He recorded the video in 3D with his GoPro camera earlier this year.   On the computer, you can look around and see any direction including behind you.   But with the headset on, you feel like you're there.   It's eerie and captivating at the same time.   

At one point, my daughter gets a little close to my husband as she skis and you have to step back and out of the way, even though you have no control over what's happening in the recorded memory.   I watched the video twice and I did the same thing the second time, even though I knew what was about to happen. 

The whole thing reminds me of the movie Brainstorm. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son is very good at games, a point I suppose I'm proud of, even though it indicates he's spent a good bit of time playing games.  He was telling me how to play Gorn last night and after I died miserably very early on, he proceeded to tell me how he got all the way to the very last boss.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to talk to me on the phone tonight and was so excited to talk about what had been happening with her trip to the mountains with my parents.   She was interested until she was done, which didn't take long.   She needed to get back and play more with Mimi and Gramps.

No comments:

Post a Comment