Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Do No Wrong

My daughter is going to visit Mimi and Gramps tomorrow and in an effort to have her not look completely disheveled—something at which she excels—she took a bath and washed her hair.  Things were busy and my husband said he'd dry her hair, something I said was a must lest her hair look crazy for the whole trip.  I said I would do it but he insisted he knew how to try her hair and had been for years. 

So off he went and I didn't think much of it until he asked me if I could finish the drying job.   I came upstairs to find not wet hair, but heavily overly laden with products hair.   It looked like it hadn't been washed in a week.   It was heavy and greasy looking. 

I hate to do this to my daughter, but I told her we had to stick her head in the tub and I was going to wash off the products and re-dry her hair.   While I was shampooing her head I talked about how dad didn't realize he'd put too much product in.   She burst into tears and it took me a minute to get out of her what I'd said.   

She said, "I didn't know daddy could do anything wrong!"   It was so sweet, so innocent and I didn't want to ruin her opinion of her father so I told her it was okay that we could easily fix things.   She calmed down but a few minutes later her father came into the bathroom. 

She ran over to him, grabbing him in a bear hug, and commenced crying all over again.   I explained and my husband did just the thing a parent does to comfort a child in the best way.   He knelt down and said to my daughter, "you thought I couldn't make mistakes?  It took you nine-and-a-half years to realize I'm not perfect?" in the kindest mildly teasing tone.   My daughter burst into laughter. 

And it was all over.   She was fine with everything.   I have a feeling she thinks her father is still perfect.   He pretty much is an amazing dad. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son lost the privilege of having seltzer water as a punishment from me.   He typically loses screen time but I went with a different approach.   It worked but he forgot and when he explained he'd already opened the drink, I said that was okay, he could put it right back in the refrigerator.   He does love drinking seltzer. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter called Mimi today and talked for a long while on the Amazon Echo, planning on her visit.   She is so excited to leave tomorrow to go see her and Gramps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment