Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Puberty?

My daughter had a splinter tonight.   She had asked permission to swear if it hurt, which my agreement with her is that during any and all splinter removals, she's allowed to swear.   She always asks permission and during the time of swearing would make a sailor proud.   And then when it's over, she stops.  

It's very cute hearing the string of words coming out of her mouth with the proper intonation that makes her sound like a little adult.   Even if it's an uncouth little adult.   What can I say though, she learned it from her mother. 

It was during this time that she told me she was worried because she had a lump in her breast.   It had been there, "for a long time" which upon further questioning meant a day or two.   I checked and told her I knew what it was and she needn't worry, it wasn't cancer like she'd thought it might be.  It was simple, it was puberty. 

We talked about what a silly word 'puberty' was and how I remembered the day I told my mother about the uncomfortable bumps in my chest.   How at her office she'd given me ice cream from an event they'd had a few days back.   I told her how happy my mother had been for me and that I was just as happy for her.   She wasn't so happy though. 

She wasn't ready to become an adult.   I told her that was a long, long time in the future and she'd go on being a girl for many years to come. 

The Big Boy Update:  I am not writing this.  You have not read it.  I was not here.  My son is streaking his pants again.   It went away for a long time.  Possibly two years.  But it's back and it has been multiple times.   We're trying to figure out the cause.    We don't think it's medical. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter had scrapes all up and down her legs tonight.   This is indicative of a fall.   She didn't want to tell me at first, but I assured her it was okay, that we all fell.   It happened while she was riding on the skateboard.   I told her that made sense and that falling off a skateboard and getting scraped up was just part of learning for all of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment