Saturday, August 4, 2018

The World Depends On It

We went to a suspended ropes obstacle course this morning.   My daughter wasn’t happy about going because it was raining.   I suspect it was because she couldn’t see it and didn’t know what it was.   She might have had a lot of fun.    We decided to send her home with my mother and send my husband off to play golf with my father, which left my son and me to do the High Gravity course alone. 

We picked the more challenging, three-leveled course that my son barely qualified for in both height and age.   It turned out he was not only unafraid, but un-tireable.   I couldn’t wear him out.   It was a little more taxing on me because he wasn’t tall enough to change his cables over so every section we did I hooked us both in and out of.   Some of the ones he chose were extra hard and I had to scale to the middle and try and push his cables along so he could make it to the other side. 

There was a staff member on the third level who told us there weren’t many children his size that came up that high.    Getting my son up wasn’t the problem, it was getting him down.   And I was tired.  

We met a man at one of the platforms who had noticed my son doing one of the little mini dances he does.    He recognized it and said to my son, “do the Orange Julias”.  My son immediately launched into the FortNite dance and said back to him, “it’s the Orange Justice”.   The man and I laughed together.   

Before I got my son to agree to end for the day, he wanted to do one of the most difficult segments.   I asked him if he was sure.   He told me, “the world depends on it.”   With this new information we attacked the remainder of the course with renewed vigor.  

I’m not sure if we saved the world, but we had a really nice time together this afternoon. 

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Alexa Adventures:   My son and daughter were playing the “Alexa” game, for lack of a better name, in the car yesterday.   One would say, “you be Alexa, okay, now, Alexa play the theme from Transformers Prime”.  Then the other one would start to hum the song.    After a bit I’d hear them say, “okay, you be Alexa now”.    After the switch a question would be asked and I’d hear, “sorry, I don’t know that” just like Alexa would say.   

No comments:

Post a Comment