Sunday, August 26, 2018

Really Not Fun

I take a nerve medication for the nerve pain that’s a result of spinal cord damage I’ve had over the years.   I’ve had two spinal fusions and have been through most medical options to address and alleviate the pain and symptoms.   After the fusion it took about three years for the nerves and pain to diminish so I could get off the arsenal of medication I was on.  

But the degeneration in my spine didn’t end and I have issues that continue to increase every year.   I started about five years ago on a nerve medication and over time I’ve had to increase the dosage.   Every now and then I titrate off it to see if I need the amount I’m taking or if I can manage with less.    The last time I did this was about a year-and-a-half ago.  

I reckoned it was time to try again.  I’m at a higher daily dosage now, but the titration schedule isn’t prolonged.   I started on the fifth of this month and was doing fairly well until I got to the zero medication mark.   Twenty-four hours later and everything is magnified.   It’s like pain with the flu and nausea.   Okay, maybe not that bad all the time, but it has its moments.

I can’t tell how much nerve medication I need until my nerves calm down though.   So I’m sort of a blob right now, not doing much and spending far too much time in bed, uncomfortable but with no energy to do much else.

I am hoping today, day six with nothing, will be the last of the bad days.   I think things are a little better this evening.   With that being said though, I’m getting back in bed after writing this.

The Big Boy Update:  We went to Uncle Jonathan and Margaret’s house today to meet Elvis and Peekaboo, their cats.   My son is allergic to cats, so we gave him some Benadryl and he was fine.   But it must have made him cranky.   He couldn’t handle anything in the car, ultimately threatening (twice) to get a knife from the knife block and stab or cut one of us when he got home.  He lost screens for a week each time—which made him exceptionally upset.   He was about to loose them anyway though as tomorrow is the last day of summer for him.    He needs a break.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loved petting Peekaboo, Margaret’s cat, today.   Peekaboo was very friendly, especially since small children move quickly and my daughter isn’t that knowledgeable on how to pet a cat.    Margaret said we could come back and spend more time with Peekaboo soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment