Sunday, August 12, 2018

Hide and Sneak

My husband was working this morning and I was trying to persuade the children to go to the pool with me.   A lot of times getting them to do something different than what they’re doing right at that moment is a bit of a challenge.   Even if they’re currently bored.   My daughter wasn’t interested in going to the pool all the way at the country club…except…”hey, mom, can we go to the buffet?”

My daughter is in a growth spurt.   At least I think she is from the amount of food she’s eating and the speed she’s growing out of clothes.   But what buffet?  I was confused and then I realized she meant the Sunday brunch buffet at the club.   This is a buffet we haven’t been to since well before they remodeled the grill area at the club.   But she remembered.   And we went.

Our favorite waffle maker, Martine, was still making waffles two years later and my children liked the added foods on the buffet.    As I was finishing up, my son asked if they could go play in the wedding chapel area (more of an outdoor area frequently set up for weddings but they call it the chapel).   Our waitress had just come up and asked if there was anything else we needed?

I asked the children if they had any questions for Ajia before they ran off?  There was about three seconds of silence and then my daughter said, “what’s two plus two?”   Seeing as Ajia got that question right, my daughter and son started firing more and more complex math questions at her until she relented and we sent them off to, “the chapel” to play.

I met up with them a few minutes later to see a game underway.   My son saw me come up, but I remained quiet and my daughter had no idea I was there.   She was walking towards him fairly accurately across the grassy section when I saw him sneak away.   Thinking this was a rather unfair version of hide and seek I started moving in towards my daughter.  

She saw motion and came towards me and when she got close I said, “hi, it’s mom, what are you playing?”   She told me she was trying to find her brother from the sounds he made.   So I stepped back and watched.    He would move stealthily on the bricked walk, but then walk through the pine straw so she could hear him.    When he did this she said to me, “he’s behind the bushes over there.”

I don’t think my daughter could actually win the game unless her brother had wanted to, but they were both having fun.   She was using sound to find him and he was being stealthy.   I suppose fun is all that matters when you’re playing a game, really.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is really kind to his sister on a lot of occasions.   In some cases he’s not  though.   He pushed her this morning when she ran into him, trying to find the clothes I’d told her were on the bed.  Not hard, but it was the kind of thing she gets upset and yells about.   He I don’t think realized she didn’t even know he was there.    They’re both learning how to interact together as they get older.   They play together well a lot of the time.   That is until they both want to sit in the same seat at the same time.   Then all hell breaks loose.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter said as we were riding home from dinner last night, “Mom, do you know how all four of us are sitting in the car?  Well, we make a braille X”. And we did.   A braille X is four dots in the four corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment