Friday, August 3, 2018

The Welcome Mat

We drove to the mountains yesterday to visit with my parents.   We picked my daughter up from school and started to drive what turned out to be an almost entire drive in the rain.   We had various levels and types of rain from mist to drizzle to hard rain to almost monsoon.   Both the car an my husband did a good job of getting us here safely.  

As we were about five minutes from their house we got a phone call from my parents, inquiring on what time we thought we’d arrive.   When we told them we were only minutes out, my mother said, “I’ll put out the welcome mat.”

After we hung up my son said, “they have a welcome mat?”  We explained it was a saying meaning they would be ready to welcome us when we arrived.   But that it also could mean a mat at the front door.  

My husband and I forgot all about it as we pulled in and started unpacking the car.   I walked to the front door with my son.   I held it open so he could walk in with his backpack.   As he crossed the threshold, he looked down to see a decorative rug just inside.   He looked at it quizzically and said to me, “this is a welcome mat?”

The Big Boy Update:  My son was so mature today.   I’ve been very impressed with him.    I talked to him a bit about it today and he told me he said he felt like he was ten-years-old.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter said today was “serious full day”.  That meant, she explained, that you could eat as much as you want without getting full, full, full.    For her, this was nearly true—she seemed to eat all day long.   Every time we thought we’d gotten her full, she’d come back and ask for another slice of bread.  

No comments:

Post a Comment