Thursday, August 30, 2018

Fun Run

My daughter’s public school does a single fundraiser each year.   The two years we’ve been at the school it’s been a fun run of thirty five laps and some education on a one or more topics during the two weeks for the students in which the fundraising occurs.   My daughter is excited about this year mostly because last year she had such a good time.

We weren’t involved with the at school events last year but we came for the run portion of the event.   Parents, family and friends can pledge a per lap amount for up to thirty-five laps my daughter might run.   We weren’t certain how the running would play out last year so I asked one of the teachers about it before the event.   She said the “laps” were short and the event was set up so all of the children could be successful at the event and make the full distance.

When we got there last year each child had a t-shirt on for the event and teachers were waiting with sharpies ready to mark off a check box for each lap as the child ran past.   Today, coincidentally, for the start of this year’s boosterthon, my daughter wore her fully checked off shirt from last year’s event to school.  

Last year my daughter raised enough money (thanks family!) to have the privilege of “pieing” the principal.   This year she’s heard you get to silly string the principal if you raise enough and after getting a taste for victory from last year, she’s gunning for the honor again this year.  

On the way home in the car this afternoon, my daughter asked if I could send her pledge page information to her cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents.   She’s pretty excited about the whole event.   She’s even planning on writing thank you notes on her braillewriter.   She told me, “I just can’t wait for two weeks to be over so I can do the run with my friends.”  

I’ve never been this excited about fundraising.  I’m glad she is.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband taught my son some workout activities tonight.   My son and he wrote up a full regime for the coming week, including: burpees, wall squats, planks…and the worm.   Not sure about that last one being a typical fitness exercise, but it is tiring.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Remember when my daughter climbed the door frames so much it made her hands bleed?   She doesn’t do that at all anymore—she has a new obsession: her purple ball.   It’s a purple yoga ball and she won’t go anywhere without it.   And it’s annoying because she wants to eat on it, brush her teeth on it, do eye drops on it and has even asked to have it in her bed at night.   She just lost it apparently due to behavior because I hear her wailing over and over, “purple ball!  purple ball!” in their bedroom while my husband works on getting them calmed down for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment