Thursday, August 23, 2018

Flush Share

My son said something tonight that he may have made up.   With children it’s hard to know if they’ve made up something by putting words they know together in a way that’s not typically used in English, or if it’s something clever they’ve heard elsewhere that you mistakenly give your child credit for.   In this case though, I’m not sure where he might have heard the phrase before…

We had decided to watch the first Avengers movie with the children tonight.  And when I say “watch the movie” there are various levels of accuracy with that statement.   My son most definitely was watching it and my husband was both watching it and describing it—to my daughter who couldn’t watch it, but was keen to listen and ask questions about what was happening.

I was doing the not-watching thing I do most often when a movie is playing at my house.   I was not watching the movie in the next room on a board conference call.   When I got done though I did come out and did some half watching while I put up the dishes.

After we’d turned the television off we all went upstairs to get the children in bed.   My son was very interested in some idea or question or thought he had about the movie and followed my husband into the bathroom to continue exposing on his idea.   When he realized his father had gone in to actually use the bathroom he was completely unfazed, only stopping his story briefly to say, “hey dad, share flush, I gotta go too.”

This is not a phrase we use in our household, although I quite like it.   So did he hear it or did he make it up?

The Big Boy Update:  My son ate a huge lunch.   He waited for me to bring him Biscuitville after going to the dentist.   He ate more in a single setting than I’ve seen him eat in a long time.   Three pancakes, bacon, eggs and a biscuit.   Tonight at dinner he wasn’t as hungry as he usually is.   He said something interesting though when he explained about being full.   He said, “I don’t really get full at lunch.”  I don’t know if there’s not enough time at school or if we don’t serve him enough.  I’m going to have to ask him about this more as I’ve got to start packing lunches for him in less than a week when school starts again.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and I were doing some spelling homework tonight (she asks to do homework).   I was calling out words and she was typing them faster than I could hope to write them by hand when she said, “can I tell you something?  Whitaker has a crush on me.”   Whitaker is a year-and-a-half younger than my daughter and lives next door.   I asked her how she knew.   She said her brother had found out, but that she wasn’t suppose to know.   I told her I wouldn’t tell anyone.   Which means I NEVER WROTE THIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment