Monday, August 6, 2018

The Dress

I went to an overstock clothing event when I was in New Jersey visiting with our family.   I had been told by my niece and nephew’s girlfriend that it was overwhelming, there was so much to go through in the large convention center space.    And they were right.   We had a short amount of time and a lot to go through.    I found a few things and met up with them where we changed in the corner, sort of behind some clothing racks where only a few men could watch us without looking like complete pervs.

Of the three things I got, one of them was out of my comfort zone though.   There was this pink dress that was more like something I’d wear if I played tennis (which I don’t) only the skirt was a bit too flowy for tennis.   My cohorts (who were on average thirty years my junior) said I looked good in the dress so I got it.

I didn’t even know what to wear with it but this morning I threw caution to the wind, put it on with some tennis shoes since I was running late to get my daughter to the chiropractor.   I was running late because my daughter had set her alarm, gotten breakfast for herself, had put clothes on, came to my side of the bed and told me she needed to go to the chiropractor.   I had to hustle to get her there and back before her taxi arrived.

That started the strangest day of dress compliments I’ve ever had in my life.   I was in a dress that I think looked reasonably nice on me, but I didn’t feel altogether like I should be wearing it, what with being well out of my twenties.   Everyone said something about it.   People who I wouldn't expect to even be paying attention to what I was wearing said something or other about how it was an interesting style or that it suited me.

One lady towards the end of the day while I was waiting in line at the pharmacy asked me if it was a bathing suit.   I felt the material and realized it was possible it could be, it was one of the materials bathing suits are made of these days.    I mentioned there would need to be bottoms if that were the case, what with it being a skirt and all.   She and I laughed and came up with tactical ideas on the bathing suit/dress theory.

I told her I didn’t trust myself on land, much less in water with a skirt and showed her the shorts I had on, hidden under the folds of the dress.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was playing with the ball Beth gave him that lit up when it was bounced.   He said to my mother and Beth: “I’m going to make this light up by telekinesis…and shaking”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Yesterday on the ride home from the mountains my daughter said her back was hurting.   She said she wanted to go to the chiropractor in the morning.   She told me she was going to set her alarm for five.   I said, “you have an alarm?”  She replied, “Alexa can do that, you know.”   I explained that the chiropractor’s office didn’t open until six.   This morning I found out later that she did set an alarm, but didn’t get up right away because she had Alexa read her some stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment