Thursday, August 2, 2018

Girlfriend is Puma?

After the unexpected text from my boyfriend from 1993 the other week, he and I have been sending messages to each other, reminiscing about this thing or that.    I sent him a picture of a vase with a lizard on it, asking if he remembered getting it for me; that it had always been on a shelf in my living room, going with me as I moved from house to house.    He replied he definitely did, and he had one similar to it on his shelf in his house from all those years ago.

We talked about the Mikasa dishes we’d gotten from the seconds stock in the back of the outlet store. He remembered piling through all the stacks of dishes, finding with me all the best of the “seconds”.   I had sent him a picture. saying to this day I refuse to use any other daily wear dishes, ordering replacements from Replacements, Ltd. anytime one breaks. 

He had found some old school style pictures printed on actual photo paper.    He took a new school style picture of the pictures with his phone and send them to me.   And wow, did we look young.  There was one picture I couldn’t place.   We were in seats in a vehicle but I didn’t know more than that.   I messaged back was that when we were in Germany on the train?    He said no, that that was in a green Lincoln Towncar.   I looked at the picture again and there was no indication it was anything other than the possible back seat of a car, much less a Lincoln Towncar of the green variety.

So I asked how he knew and he said he remembered renting it.   It was for one of the weddings we went to with his good friends, one of whom was very tall.   He’d rented the largest car he could for leg room for Greg.   Then I remembered.   The entire weekend of jokes and comments about the car.   Then he said speaking of the train in Germany, he had a story he’d told for years about when we were traveling from Germany to Austria and had gotten stopped by border patrol.

He typed, “girlfriend is puma?” and I started laughing in my car.   I couldn’t stop laughing.   I hadn’t thought about the miscommunication story in decades.  

We had been on the way to Austria when Jason had said he was going to the food car and would be back shortly.    A few minutes later we reached the border of Austria and the train stopped.   Immigration officers came through the car and asked for our passports—only my boyfriend wasn’t with me.   I showed him both passports, explained the situation.   He returned the passports and then headed down the rest of the car.

A few minutes later my boyfriend came back and said, “I just had the strangest thing happen.   This guy tried to stop me as I was coming up the aisle.   He said, ‘girlfriend is puma?’  I said, ‘yeah yeah’ and brushed by him.”    I was horrified.   I said, “that wasn’t some strange guy, that was the immigration officer.   I told him you were in the food car.  He was saying, ‘girlfriend is Spooner?’”

Spooner was my maiden name.    We laughed about and he retold that story many times while we were together and how he narrowly escaped being arrested by the border patrol.   Good times.

The Big Boy Update: My son created a little thing out of some building blocks yesterday.   He’s good at coming up with names for things he creates.   He said this was was, “The friender trender knock some senser”.   He said, “it’s  what I call it because it can knock some sense into and out of you and it can tell if you’re a good friend.”   High functionality for a thing made of five building blocks.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  my husband and I have both lost out tempers at my daughter today.   We’re on the way to the mountains to see my parents and for some reason everything is not right with my daughter.   I can’t explain it.   Perhaps the more vision she loses the more everything is about her. We’re trying.   But she pushes so hard and acts like a spoiled brat.   And at some point we snap.    We’re meeting with Dhruti next week and maybe we’ll get some guidance on how we can work better with her and ease her struggle and in so doing help us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment