Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Snofall

One of the handles I use in video games is ‘Snofall’.   I like the name which would indicate that I like snow.   I do like snow, but from where I live in the South it rarely seems to happen.   We get the threat of snow and sometimes we get bad winter weather that resembles snow but is more an icy, dangerous mess that melts before you can have fun with what’s on the ground.   Usually what falls isn’t fun to play with nor is it any meaningful quantity.

As a result, I’m a huge snow fall skeptic.   People in our area tend to get excited about the possibility of snow, a lot of times believing in the maximum amount of predicted snow, even when the forecast changes to less-favorable conditions.

But today we got snow.   It came hours later than the original prediction but it snowed and after a bit started to stick and we got what may be five or six inches of fun, fluffy snow.  My children went out several times and towards the end of the day when there was enough accumulation to have fun in, I went out to join them at one of our neighbor’s houses who had a hill that worked well for sledding.

A snow fort was made, there was an on and off snow fight with adults and children playing together having no particular teams, only temporarily taking sides.   There was bourbon and paper cups at the edge of the garage and hot chocolate inside for those who got cold.   I was diving into and rolling around in the snow with my children.   It was enough to have a lot of fun in.  

We stayed until dark and enjoyed a walk home in the eerily bright street lit streets.   It’s going to remain cold tonight which will give everyone another day to enjoy the snow before it melts.   In the dark as I look out, everything looks beautiful.   Here’s a picture of the Japanese maple in our front yard.   It looked so nice up-lit that my husband and I both independently took pictures of it.


The Big Boy Update:  My son had little interest in participating in the snow ball fight.   What he wanted to do was to attack you and knock you down.   He got me several times but I got him back by grabbling and use him as a human shield from the onslaught of snowballs.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter couldn’t see enough to participate in the snow ball fight, but she did like making and collecting snow balls.   She had us help her fill up one of the sleds and then she would say, “my store is open” and hand out the snow balls for free.   At the end of the night she gave a sled full of snowballs for my husband to run and dump on three of us while she laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment