Thursday, January 4, 2018

Electric Sledding

I had a sled when I was a child.   It was fairly rudimentary it would seem, while being sophisticated at the same time.   It had two metal runners and some wooden slats.  You could nominally steer by pulling on a rope connected to the front that would bend the metal runners to the left or right.   It got us down the hill.

When we were at the bottom of the hill, after shouts and squeals of delight, we had to trudge back up to the top of the hill to have a second go.   We did this for hours.   It was what we called back then “fun”.  We had some snow today and I saw a different kind of fun being had by my children’s generation.

For starters, it wasn’t really what I’d call snow.   It was about an inch, which in the south is akin to snomageddon, but it required schools to be let out one day early, cancelled the next day and start on a delay the third day.   Regardless, my children were excited.   Snow gear was donned and they went out in the dusting, carrying their now high-tech formed plastic sled with them.

I went out to run an errand, braving the sunny, just below freezing weather while they went off to enjoy the minor accumulation.   When I returned I saw a neighbor, on his golf cart, with four sleds strapped to the back of his cart.   He was driving them around the streets.  

Electric, no-hassle, no work sledding.

The Big Boy Update:  On the ride to school two days ago I told my son there was a chance we’d get a little snow, but to not get his hopes up because it was likely only going to be a little.  He said, “it’s okay if we miss snow this year, all I care about is Christmas”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter wanted to, “eat the snow” she told us earlier today as she went out for the third time after hot chocolate and lunch. After trying it three times she wiped her mouth and I could hear her saying, “blech” at the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment