Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Playlists

My son asked me a while back if he could have his own playlist.  The children know about playlists as I have them and refer to them from time to time.   I told him he could have his own playlist if he wanted to.  

I created the list on Amazon Prime Music and he asked for his two current obsession songs to be put into it.   Now, when we’re in the car or I have my phone with me we can play his playlist.   We had to do some figuring out how to get the playlist so that Alexa would recognize a voice command to play said playlist.

That part turned out to be harder than anticipated, even though it should have worked easily.   We did a collection of things over the next two days while in the meantime my daughter had decided she wanted a playlist too—with the exact same two songs as her brother.  

I asked Alexa to play her playlist and it just worked.   Alexa wasn’t even mildly confused.   My husband finally had an idea that worked, which was renaming the playlist to an alternate spelling of my son’s name.

So now we have two children with two playlists running around the house asking Alexa to play their songs and skip to the next song and play the playlist on random.   By this point I had had requests for several more songs each, but with mostly the same songs on both playlists.

Then two days ago they figured out how to add a song to their play list.   But they’re not adding with discretion, they’re just adding to add songs.   I think in a few weeks we’re going to have to clean up the playlists.  For example, this morning at breakfast my son had asked for his playlist to be played in random order.   He didn’t want to hear the first song so he asked for it to be skipped.   The second song came on and my daughter said after a few measures, “Alexa skip”.   She looked at me and said, “it has some bad words in it so it’s not really appropriate.”

The Big Boy Update:  On the way home from school today my son wanted to have some of my can of seltzer water.   A few minutes later I heard what was clearly the sound of a can tipping over in the back seat.   I asked my son in an alarmed voice, “is it spilling?”   He calmly replied, “not anymore”.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  During dinner my daughter asked randomly, “mom, how much longer do you think until you die?”

Best Pork Chops Ever:  My husband was making pork chops tonight.   He ended up trying something new with the new pan he’d recently gotten.   I had arrived home but was in the car in the garage finishing up a phone call when he messaged me, “these are the best pork chops ever”.   My husband isn’t prone to bragging so I went inside to see for myself.  I think he was right because I couldn’t stop eating them.   I told him if he cooked them for dinner tomorrow I’d eat just as many.

No comments:

Post a Comment