Monday, January 8, 2018

Day Tripper

Tomorrow, a scant few hours from now, early in the morning I’ll be dragging my daughter out of bed and dressing her in the dark.   We’ll head to the airport and board a plane before sunrise to head to Detroit.    This is one of those very expensive fifteen minute visits with her retina surgeon.   She had surgery the week before Christmas and he needs to see her again to make sure her healing is progressing well.  

I’ve had a lot of people say they can’t believe we’re going to Detroit for the day, meaning it’s a short trip, not a multi-day thing.  But this is really ideal.   Early morning flight, mid-morning appointment, lunch out where my daughter picks and then back to the airport to fly home.   It doesn’t seem like a big event to me, but then again we’ve been going back and forth to Detroit for over two years now.

I don’t think there’s going to be much snow on the ground, which will be a disappointment to my daughter.   She won’t get to do a lot of the things that make Detroit fun for her such as swim in the pool and thrown pennies in the fountain at the mall, but I’m sure we’ll have a chance again at some point.

I’m not expecting any surprises at the appointment tomorrow.   The one thing that will be interesting is how long it will be until we go back.   It might be a number of months at this point since her vision has stabilized in the left eye.   A lot will depend on what he can see in the right eye and specifically if the right eye can actually see.

The Big Boy Update:  My son told me something interesting yesterday.   He said he and his friend Atticus had similar names.   I asked him how so?  He said his name was Greyson, which was Grey-son, but that people pronounced it Grey-sin.   His friend Atticus’s name was At-ti-kus but that people pronounced it At-tic-cis.   I never thought about it before, but we all really do mispronounce my son’s name.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted dad to do something a lot of times.   She asked me, “what’s that sideways eight number?”  “Infinity”, I told her.   So interesting, I didn’t even know she knew there was a symbol and second, I didn’t know she knew what it looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment