Wednesday, January 3, 2018

I’ll Be Glad When My Christmas Present Is Gone

My husband has a dry sense of humor.   Sometimes he says things that are so sincere you don’t realize he’s joking until you play through what he said a second time.   Last night we were in the kitchen, Uncle Jonathan was visiting and I was cleaning up from dinner.   My husband casually said out loud to Jon and me, “I’ll be glad when my Christmas present is gone.”

I looked around and had to laugh.   He was right, I can’t wait for it to be gone too.   We have a thing with dishwashing soap.   Method made this great foaming dish soap for a while and then stopped making it.   The soap smelled great like a lot of their hand soaps do, but the thing that made this particular soap so nice was the container and how it functioned.   

It was a grip pump not unlike you’d have in a bottle of window cleaner, only it spewed out this nice foam dish soap.   It was easy to grip and easy to spray and it worked well.    I don’t know why they pulled it, other than it was easy to go through a bottle fairly quickly. 

I tried other options but the ones I found were top pumps that were awkward to hold as you picked them up and aimed all around at the greasy pan the potato wedges were just baked in.   But I tried other options.   I found online the last of the soaps available and ordered them at a higher than typical price because I wanted the containers, not the soaps so much.    The one remaining container we had worked well with any foaming dish soap, but it was wearing from use of more than two years and needed to be replaced. 

I’ve checked eBay and keep looking from time to time but there just isn’t any more of that particular soap container that I can find.   So I branched my search out and found what was touted as a foaming soap industrial grade bottle.   There were good reviews.   It was large and held a lot of liquid and the pump looked easy to manage.   

Christmas day and my husband opened up an empty spray bottle and I told him I though I’d found a solution.   I filled it partially up with one of the other foaming dish soap options I’d found—for baby dishes, which made it super safe apparently.    And we tried it out.  

And it was awful.   Not only was there no foam, it doesn’t even spray, it just oozes out and makes a mess down the bottle.    The one thing the bottle is good for is a laugh though.   Every time we have some over since Christmas my husband makes sure to be grateful in front of them—which always makes me laugh. 

And he’s right, I’ll be glad when his Christmas present is empty so we can recycle the bottle and I can continue my search for a foaming dish soap dispenser. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son went back to school today.   On the car ride to school we had an in-depth conversation about GPS, including what it stood for for starters.   I explained about the satellites, which he was disappointed in because he could’t see them.   We talked about how their signal was read by the car and how that told the car where it was on the road.   Then we got into how cars (and devices) had a map they could place our current location on to determine where we were in the road.   And those same maps would help us navigate to any destination we could drive to.   At about that point he had to get out of the car in carpool line.   Maybe he’ll have more questions about GPS and satellites tomorrow.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is still sick with strep throat.   She took the day very easy and spent a lot of time on her iPad.   We like her on the iPad because it’s visual work at a distance she can be successful in.   She does drawings and is pretty good at finding buttons in the games she plays.   Tonight she wanted to play something on the Wii U that my husband got her a while back.   She was playing on the small screen on the controller itself and aside from not being good at the game in general, she was doing okay.   Lack of contrast made it hard, but she was moving Kirby around and she was happy about it.   I called her down to dinner in a while but she fell asleep in a ball on the bar chair and didn’t eat dinner.   I put her to bed with her clothes on, only waking her to give her some ibuprofen because I think she still has a fever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment