Saturday, January 13, 2018

Our Inn

We have been having people visit with us a lot lately.   I love it.   I don’t know what it is, but I do like a house full of family and friends.    Last night our friends from Maryland came to town, arriving around ten o’clock in the evening.   I wanted to stay up, but I fell asleep shortly before they got to the house.  

This morning I woke up to the smell of coffee and toasted bagels and some warm welcome hugs from our friends.   Alice asked me how I was sleeping last night when they came in, making noise as a family arriving would typically do, and to the loud television on the other side of the wall to our bedroom.    I told her I was sleeping soundly, not even noticing the noise because a loud house here typically means a happy house.

Today as I say down to write this post I had an email from my cousin, asking if we were available for visitors on two weekends in the coming months for swim meets Olivia had in the area.   A short calendar check and entries added and one email response later and our house will have more visitors soon.  

We’re very fortunate to have friends and family that like to spend time with us.   We’re also very fortunate to have guest rooms in which they can stay.   Years ago when my daughter was three months old we performed, “Operation Cohabitation” and stuck her in with my then fourteen-month-old son.   I’ve been asked many times why we did so when we had a room she could have had as her own.  

I have two answers: the first is that we wanted them to be together, to be friends, and to be used to sleeping in noise when it the other child was awake and crying.   And that goal has been highly successful.   They like being in the same room.   Some day they’ll want to have their own space, but they like being together quite a lot now.

The second reason is that I love guests.   Having more than one guest room is something I’m always glad to offer.   So if you’re coming to town and need a spot to stay, send me an email and I’ll check the calendar.   We look forward to having you visit.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is very excited.  He has a Minecraft party on Monday while school is out.  It’s some friends from school who are all passionate about Minecraft.   He’s not had a lot of opportunity to play with friends online so this will be his first real event.    I can’t wait to hear about it when he gets home.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is very happy to have Andrew and Julia here visiting.   For lunch she was adamant she got to sit beside Andrew in the car and at the table.   This afternoon and morning though she spent a lot of time with Julia playing cards and doing other things.    Andrew and Julia are older than her, but that hasn’t stopped her from making them some of her best friends.    My daughter loves friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment