Tuesday, January 16, 2018

I’m Missing Something

My husband and I were texting back and fort this morning trying to schedule two upcoming events.   We’d RSVP’d yes to one about a month ago and the other one we’d planned on going to and had on the calendar.   Sometimes when we schedule things we immediately secure a sitter for the time block, but other times we miss grabbing a sitter until one of us realizes we missed that important step.

My husband had asked who he should ask first and I suggested our next-door neighbor’s children.  He texted me back a short while later saying neither were available and who should he go to next.    When I got home he said none of the three were available.   As we were talking I was trying to figure out who we should ask next.   I was thinking of several options but something was bothering me—I was missing something.  

I couldn’t figure out what it was so I told him let’s try these next two sitters and then we’d go to third string support if we didn’t find anyone at that level.   And then it hit me—my parents were back in town for the winter.   My mother, “Childcare on Wheels” as she likes to call herself, was most likely available and would probably like to have an evening with the children.   Certainly my husband and I would love to have her and my father come over and spend time with their grandchildren.  

Five minutes later and I had our events covered with the gracious help of Mimi.   I hung up and my phone rang almost immediately.    Due to incoming weather, or the strong threat of weather, one of the events canceled and rescheduled for several weeks from now.   So I called my childcare on wheels representative back and she said that wasn’t a problem and moved our reservation.  

It’s nice to have Mimi and Gramps in town for four months of the year.

The Big Boy Update:  I was talking to my son about my back and neck bothering me tonight.   We talked about our chiropractor and how he helped me.   I figured my son probably didn’t like it when the “popcorn” sounds happened when his back had to be adjusted the two times he hurt himself and I took him in, but I was wrong.   He said, “It feels good.   And I like the sound.”  I told him I thought so too.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  While my son and I were at his OT appointment and then his Free Running class today my husband and daughter played a treasure hunt game.   But this treasure hunt was with a twist—the directions on where to look next (in front of the fireplace, under the bed, on the garage door, etc.) were written on pieces of paper in braille by my husband.   My daughter loves this game and having it done in braille so she could read the locations was even more fun for her.   We saved the cards so she could play the game again with her friends tomorrow since there’s no school due to weather.   This will be the first time she’ll be able to read the location instead of everyone being able to read the card but her.    She’s pretty excited about playing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment