Monday, January 15, 2018

Fasting

I have to fast today for some blood work tomorrow.   Just some tests to make sure I’m not old.   Or possibly to verify that I am.   Routine stuff.   Still, it involves fasting.    And the whole fasting thing I don’t understand.

That’s not true really, it’s completely understandable, it’s just the rules that don’t make sense.   Fasting seems to follow the same set of guidelines as pre-surgery rules.   It has nothing to do with the total number of hours before said event (surgery or blood draw) but the time of day the evening before: midnight.

It doesn’t matter if you have an eight o’clock appointment or a 1:15 surgery time scheduled, you can’t have anything to eat or drink after midnight.   So what does this tell us?   In the case of surgery, you don’t have much choice as the surgical schedule is out of your control.   But for an office visit the message is clear: schedule for first thing in the morning.  

So tomorrow my husband is taking the children to school and I’ll be at the doctor’s office for a blood draw and other vitals at 8:15am.   I’ll have to delay my morning hot tea by an hour-and-a-half, but that’s about the only disruption to my schedule there will be.

The Big Boy Update:  I heard my father say to my son tonight, “no, I’m not pregnant.  I just have a pot belly.”   The rest of the adults turned and all laughed as we figured out what my son had asked Gramps.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was taking to Richard this weekend while we were waiting to be seated for dinner.   I don’t know what the conversation was but I heard her say, “I only like my dad’s broccoli.”

No comments:

Post a Comment