Saturday, January 20, 2018

Right On Time

When I was young I had one of those clocks that flipped over a flap of plastic or metal every minute of every hour.   It had a little radio I could listen to and it the radio or a terrible loud beep could be used as an alarm.    It was by my bedside for years of my childhood.

I eventually got a watch.   It was the beginning of the digital age and the watch I had had numbers instead of hands.   I was cool.   I was so cool.   Or at least I thought so.    But the watch was only so so on keeping time.   It seemed to get a wee bit off and I would have to set it forwards by a few minutes.   Then the battery would die.

Thought most of my childhood my friends and people I knew would get watches or clocks.   There was a big to do back then about quartz crystal accuracy.   The timepiece you had just had to be accurate and not lose time.  

There was a lot of talk about who had the most accurate and reliable of the clocks and watches we had.   Money was spent, accuracy was gained and yet we still would be late to something, saying, “my watch must be off”.

Today no one talks about the correctness of time.    Everything is synced with central, super accurate time devices.   All of our cell phones flip to 9:13PM at the same time.   It’s nice to have the accuracy but it means there are no more excuses for being late anymore.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was caught.   He was cornered, and he knew he had no way out of telling a story that just wasn’t true to me.   But he tried as he said, “I wasn’t lying, I just got confused with the sentences.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:    On the way to dinner in the dark tonight we passed the hospital.  My daughter asked, “are doctors awake at nighttime?”

No comments:

Post a Comment