Friday, January 26, 2018

Cutco

We love Cutco knives and products.   When I was in college I had a friend who started selling Cutco and he gave me the demo one weekend.  I didn’t know much about knives other than my father liked to find them at yard sales and we had a smattering of different knives in our kitchen.   Some were sharp and some were not.   But these Cutco knives were beyond sharp—they were dangerous.  

I didn’t have a real need for them, what with living in a dorm room at the time but I said one day I would own some of those Cutco knives for myself.   Later in life I did buy a set of knives and over the years I’ve added to the collection.    When I met my husband it turned out that he as well as his family were avid Cutco people as well.   He remembers their Cutco sales rep coming to their house when he was a small child.  

When he and I got married I had quite a large collection of knives, cooking utensils and flatware.   We combined our sets and put the duplicates in the attic.   Since that time I’ve added a thing or two here and there and gotten Christmas presents for people.   We also have their cookware.   Basically, if it’s Cutco, we probably have it in our house.

Our sales rep contacted us recently to come and sharpen our knives.   He came and I got a few more things because there were some new non-knife items my husband and I liked.  Our order came in the mail and the next day I got a call from our next-door-neighbor’s son, who is a senior in high school and one of our children’s favorite sitters.   He spoke in a very scripted voice about how he was starting a new business endeavor to help him with money for college next year selling Cutco knives and would we be interested in hearing about them?

I told him we already had a Cutco rep and had most of the Cutco products but we’d be glad to have him come practice his presentation if he wanted.   He said he got paid by Cutco even if we didn’t buy anything (there is a nominal fee I knew they got) and that he understood we had a sales rep already.   We set a time for this afternoon after dinner.

Blake has been to our house many times, but he’s never noticed the brand of knives because it wasn’t something he had interest in before.   When he got here he realized I wasn’t joking, we really had it all.   He looked through all the items we had and we talked about how we used the knives and other products from Cutco and then he asked if he could do his presentation via the script he had since he was still learning it.  

He did a good job and we found out we didn’t have the Cutco vegetable peeler so we ordered one with him before he left.  The thing we all had a laugh about was where the script asked for us to find our “sharpest serrated and non-serrated knife” so that he could do a comparison with the Cutco knives.   We looked.   We didn’t have one.   We had also just had our knives sharpened.  

But Blake did a good job of the presentation and we talked a lot about our experience with Cutco products and how satisfied we’ve been with them and their “forever” guarantee.  I hope Blake does well selling Cutco, he’s got a dollar amount he’s hoping to sell.   He said he’d keep us updated on how it goes.

The Big Boy Update:   My son was with me at lunch the other day.   There was a man in line with us to place our food orders and noticed my son was doing “moves” (I don’t know what to call them, but my son basically never stands still).   He asked my son, “are you strong?”  My son said, “I don’t drink milk, but I do do conditioning.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter made a butterfly tonight and it was a pretty good one too.   She cut out two wings, two antenna and two, “legs”.   She asked me if I could get the tape to help tape it all together.   Then she asked if I could find one of the legs, which had gone missing.   Once she got it taped together she colored it in with sharpie and for the most part didn’t get sharpie marks on our dining room table.

No comments:

Post a Comment