Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Treasure Hunt

My mother had a fun thing for my children to do today.  She had crafted a complete treasure hunt for them, where each would find a multi-piece treasure and put it together in the end to make a surprise.

She arrived at the house while our children were outside and set up her "treasure hunt" by hiding things all over the house.   When she was done, we called the children in.   They were happy to see Mimi, and suddenly interested in this treasure hunt thing she was talking about.  

She sent my son first; she told him where to go in the house to look for something unexpected.    My son ran off to check in his shoe drawer by the garage and came back grinning, holding a piece of lucite with the letter 'G' on it.    She sent him on additional trips, his sister trailing behind him, to find all the letters to spell his name: GREYSON.  

When he was done, he got a completion prize (a snake car he's nuts about) and then it was his sister's turn.  

She was excited, but wanted her brother to come with her to help her find the things.   She could have found the letters herself, but she just wanted to do it together.   When they were done they had letters to spell out REESE.

We talked about all the sounds the letters make and then my son started rearranging his name and asking us what word it made now, which was interesting to watch.

We like the large letters a lot.   I'm wondering if we can find a place for them somewhere in their rooms?

Thanks for a fun afternoon activity, Mimi!

The Big Boy Update:  Click Click Whistle.   I was listing titles of the show Wild Kratts the other day to my children and decided to play the one about dolphins.   My son said out loud, "click, click, whistle" and I didn't know what he meant until a few minutes later the narrators were saying that very thing and explaining how dolphins communicate.  My son must have seen the show before and remembered the sounds.   Tonight as I put him to bed he said to me, "click click whistle."  I asked him if he was a dolphin and he nodded.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  At dinner my daughter had shell pasta with red sauce.    We weren't paying attention for a bit as we did that adult talking thing and when we looked over we saw her with shells on the fingers of one hand and an attempt to get the shells on the tips of the fingers on her second hand.

Fitness Update:  Ten miles in lovely spring weather this morning.   I was slow though, but we had a nice run.

No comments:

Post a Comment