Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Picnic Playdate

My children wanted to have a picnic today.  My husband and I were busy with someone who had come to meet with us and we largely weren't doing much to supervise them.   When our visitor left, I went up to find them in their bedroom having an indoor picnic.

They had laid out my daughter's largest blanket in the middle of the room.   There was the toy picnic basket from their cabinets in the kitchen with real food in it—food I had given them without realizing where they were going to take it.   (Usually they're very good about only eating food in eating areas or outside.)

They had a "birthday cake" made out of Duplo Legos and there was a lot of talking about Ghi Ghi, Gah Gah and Pahmer.  I came up and listened in to what they were doing.  I heard my son say, "mama?"  I answered and he said, "no, Reese mama."  I realized my daughter was being the mother in their imagination game when she answered him.   Then he asked, "where's the baby?"  They found a baby, got together with their other imaginary friends and had a nice picnic.   I was given some cake (a Lego piece) and then laughing ensued.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband came upstairs during the picnic my children were having in their bedroom this afternoon.  My son has become interested in whispering things to you of late.  He whispered to my husband, "daddy, tomorrow Reese and me are getting married."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  When my children are doing imagination playing with each other, there's a lot of interaction between the two children.   My daughter, however, doesn't need another friend to play with though.  Yesterday she had an ongoing conversation with her hands, some crackers and some other invisible people.   She animated their actions with her hands and changed her voice for some of them.

Fitness Update:  I ran five miles this morning and then decided to do a quick twenty-five minute upper body workout in the fitness room in our neighborhood since I haven't had any activity for my upper arms lately other than swinging to and fro while I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment