Saturday, May 30, 2015

Goodbye to the Band

I've run a lot of races at this point.   I was nervous the night before for races that were new to me, such as the first race I ever ran, the first half marathon and the first marathon.   At this point, I just get up, put on my weather- and distance-appropriate gear and drive to the event, wait around until start time and go.    No fuss, just fun.

I realized some time back I was using one specific hair band for races and long training runs.   It was my most reliable band: it held my hair in place, didn't pull the hair out when I removed it and basically did exactly what I would want an ideal hair band to do.  

I have lots and lots of hair bands.  It is rare to find me without one or two on one of my wrists if my hair is down.   It's part of my daily attire, just like shoes.   This one band though, was reserved for performance-based running needs.  I looked at it's frayed little mass of cream-colored fibers the other day and thought, "I'm going to be sad when it breaks."   Then, I stretched it out to put on my hair for a half marathon run I was about to do...and it gave way.  

I put it down, thinking about how it was with me for all three of the marathons I've run and most of the other races, but I couldn't throw it away.    I stuck it in my scrapbook folder with a little note attached.   Maybe someday I'll find it and remember all that running I used to do.

The Big Boy Update:  My son ran into the bathroom this morning while my husband and I were getting ready and asked, "what's a wife?"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to make something today with their kids kitchen set. She got squirt lemon juice, some sugar and water and made me lemonade.   It was pretty good too, because I think she added a lot of sugar.

Fitness Update:  I ran my first 8K race today.   Uncle Jonathan's girlfriend and I ran it together.   The weather was pure delight, other than the heavy humidity.    We had such a good time chatting, the race was over before I knew it.   We also ran faster than I usually do, coming in at 10:05 per mile, with multiple walking water stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment